Brian's House Building Blog

When Did You Last Have Your Home Wiring Checked?

by Peyton Sanders

How safe is your home? As a responsible homeowner, you will want to do everything you can to keep your family safe. You probably take the time to ensure that all the windows and doors of your home fit properly. You check your home regularly for any growing cracks in the walls and make sure that there are no obvious hazards around the building. Those are all great things to do, but they only deal with things that you can see easily. Not all safety hazards are so immediately apparent, and it is these that often come back to bite people. One of the less obvious hazards in every home is posed by the electrical wiring.

How old is your home wiring?

Electricity is something you use every day. You flick the light switch and expect that the light will come on in response. Since the wiring of your home can't be seen, it's easy to forget about it and only remember it exists when it stops working. Most people will only think about calling in the electricians if the light doesn't come on or if the circuit breaker keeps tripping, but is that really the only time you need them? Unseen faults can develop with your wiring, and some of those faults could be potentially deadly for your family. If your wiring is more than a few years old, it is always worth asking some electricians to inspect it and make sure it remains safe and fit for your current needs.

Are there problems with your home wiring?

Even if you think your home wiring is fine, it is worth being aware of the signs of trouble so you will know when it is time to call your local electricians. Two of the most common signs of faults with electrical wiring are the following:

Flickering lights – If you notice your home lighting flickering, especially when you turn other electrical appliances on or off, this could be a sign that you are trying to draw too much current on your electrical circuit. It may be time to consider a dedicated circuit for whatever high-powered device you are trying to use.

Hot surfaces or walls – No electrical device should be hot to the touch. If you find any electrical device gets hot, or if you notice hot areas in your walls, then you should unplug any devices that could be causing the problem and seek the advice of professional electricians without delay, as waiting could result in a house fire.